As well as revising the territory covered over the last 12 weeks, today I want to take some time to reflect again (as we did in week 1) on the idea of ‘new’ documentary.
Also with the subtitles now sorted out we’ll do a ‘take 2’ on Agnes Varda’s The Gleaners and I (2000)…..a classic documentary to end the semester!
1 Revision/Discussion – What we’ve covered in ‘New Documentary’
We began in week 1 by considering Jung Jake’s work and asked could this be considered documentary. Lets have another look at Jung Jake’s videos now we have the benefit of 12 weeks of immersion in documentary and ask the same question:
A few other questions as discussion points:
- what have you learned about documentary?
- Has your thoughts changed about what a documentary is?
- What was your favourite work watched during the semester?
- Documentary modes?
2. Project update/viewing:
Please update the class on the progress of your project. Show us any rushes/footage you have, share any difficulties, anything you’re happy with etc.
3. Class Screening:
The Gleaners and I (2000)
4. Class Discussion:
– How would you describe Gleaners?
– What mode/s does it traverse?
– Any other thoughts?
5. Submitting your Final Project and your Process Journal
A reminder on the submission method….
The submission method for your final 2 assessment projects:
- Upload you final project (assessment 3) to Vimeo.com
- Copy the URL to your personal blog in a separate blog post
- Email me the link to your blog to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure your blog contains your process journal (assessment 2) with entries from Weeks 5 through to 15 (excluding week 7) NB. That’s a total of 10 entries
Deadline: 11.59pm Monday 10th November
6. Recommended Viewing:
Here’s a list of films that in my ideal course (where we had unlimited time) I would like to have also included for viewing/discussion:
The Thin Blue Line
Good Woman of Bankok
It Felt Like A Kiss
The Act of Killing
The Look of Silence
Capturing the Friedmans
Soundtrack to War
Working Man’s Death
The Miscreants of Taliwood
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster
The Subconcious Art of Graffiti Removal
Stories We Tell
Heart of Darkness
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Man on Wire